Monday, 31 March 2014

Student Clay work

The Art rooms have been very busy with new clay work from the yr 10 and yr 11 students.
The work in the photos below are yr 10 clay tiles, ideas are in abstract forms from their own personal projects.
Pieces have been bisque fired then fired again with stoneware glazes and glass shards from recycled wine bottles inserted into the recesses.
Amazingly only 3 glaze colours were used on these, the varied colours are due to different coloured glass onto of these 3 glazes.

I will be firing more this week so I will post more photos soon.
View more ceramic and glass melt projects here.

Monday, 17 March 2014

Fired on images The results.

My last blog post was an experimental firing about using ceramic images to fire onto my work. I promised an update and here it is:
Here are some of the pieces, prior to firing, still damp after the transfers have been applied. 

Loaded into the little kiln once the transfers had fully dried.
Lid shut, here goes a 4 hr firing to just 800'c

These are the pieces (much like when they went into the kiln, except the images are now part of the piece (fired into the clay/glaze instead of sitting on top)

Feathers featured on these glazed planters.

Here are some of the failures, not certain why these transfers didn't take but I have a feeling they work better on a smoother glazed surface, on the bisque or matt surfaces they seemed to flake away.

However on the whole each transfer fired on well and is definitely a permanent solution to transferring images onto my work.

Sunday, 2 March 2014

Fired on Images. A New Project!!

I have been wanting to fire on drawings and images onto my ceramic ware for ages, but there does seem to be an awful lot of rubbish transfer sheets that just don't withstand firings and the paper is so costly that it makes it so unaffordable to experiment with this technique; then there is finding the right laser jet printer with the correct amount of oxide to print onto, it is a minefield.

There are several ways to apply decals/transfers/silk screens onto ceramic ware so I decided to do my proof sheets of images and drawings and get them sent away to a company called Foto ceramic who do all the techi stuff for you.
It has saved a shed load of hassle and I received my printed sheets a day later, so I was good to go with the first firing (all be it an experiment in itself)

Here are the sheets:
These are the original sheets with my doodles, drawings and images on them that were resized and sent to Foto Ceramic.

A day later the sheets arrived through the post printed onto the ceramic paper.

Then I had to carefully snip around each image as I was warned some of the background paper colour may show through after the firing and I didn't want that, (I am after less transfer look more fired into the piece, if that makes sense.)

After cutting each one out I placed them where I wanted them on these pre-glazed and bisque test pieces. I also used them on a few ceramic buttons I had left over from a Christmas stall. As this firing was an experiment I wasn't sure if these would look any good, so I fired the kiln half full.

These are all ready to pop into the kiln now ready to be fired.
I will post the results soon when the kiln has cooled.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...